Friday, July 4, 2008

Ah, I couldn't stay away for long

Here are a few shots from the cottage. I call them "Shots From The Cottage" because I'm a writer and I have a robust and extensive vocabulary and imagination galore. Literally, galores of it.

The honeysuckle is blooming. I have an orange vine on the east side of the house and a pinkish purple vine on the south side. The hummingbirds love them and hover around them all day, so I'm determined to get a few mid-flight photos this summer, even if it means using Superglue on their itty bitty feet.


Posted by Picasa



Posted by Picasa


I also have a mock orange in full bloom right now, just outside my bedroom window.

The heavy scent wakes me in the morning.

I think I might dig it up and move it.


Posted by Picasa


However, on the days when I am up early, I like to wander outside and gather up some of these babies for breakfast. They may be small, but boy are they sweet and bursting with flavour, especially when they're warm from the sun. Definitely worth the effort of crouching and swatting Buddy out of the way. (He's an expert strawberry hunter, thinking nothing of muscling in and pulling the berries off the vine between his tiny front teeth, his tail making circles in doggie ecstasy.)


Posted by Picasa


This has popped up alongside the raspberry patch. I think it's a blackberry bush, but I'm not sure. Anyone? I'll have to wait and see what develops.


Posted by Picasa


The wild geraniums are blooming. Aren't they darling? So subtle and delicate. Like me.


Posted by Picasa


Ah, the peonies finally opened at the lake, much later than their city cousins:


Posted by Picasa


And I didn't get to my rhubarb before it went to seed. I seem to recall this is bad for some reason. Does anyone know about this? Can I do anything with these seeds? There are LOTS of them.


Posted by Picasa


Well, that's it for now. Have a great weekend!


Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

kc dyer said...

Ah. Your subtlety and delicacy knows no bounds...

These are _beautiful_ shots! Enjoying that camera a bit? [g]

~kc

laughingwolf said...

wb pam :)

great pics, as always

if the rhubarb's gone to seed, why not plant some...?

is it not 2 - 3 years before they get big enough to eat?

A Novel Woman said...

Oh yeah, baby, you know I lurves my Nikon.

Laughingwolf, this is probably a dumb question, but can you use the seeds for more plants? I always thought you planted a piece of rhubarb stalk to get more plants. I should look it up, but I'm going to whack some weeds before my swim in the lake.

Lynne Sears Williams said...

Gorgeous photos, truly divine. I've heard about your hidden club on Yahoo, BTW. Somebody always squeals.
I have an excerpt and a large cat on my site. Is kc dyer the same one who always went to the Stampede? See you!

Anonymous said...

What hidden club on Yahoo? Tell me, tell me!!

A Novel Woman said...

Lynne, I don't know. Let's ask her. kc dyer, are you the one who rides bulls in the Stampede?

Yutha, if I told you, I'd have to kill you. Still want to know?

Susan Adrian said...

Hiya Pam!

I just gave you an Excellent Blog Award!

Because you rock. :)

A Novel Woman said...

Thanks Susan! I'm flattered you think so! (psst, someone tell my kids their mom rocks.)

Susan Adrian said...

I totally will--but I think they know it already.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos!
I can see why you love your Nikon. (Saw your post at Pioneer Woman's blog.)

Donna Boucher said...

I love your flower shots...looks like your macro is getting workout!
Gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

SIgh....nothing's changed since we were kids. It's "Dingdong School" all over again....

A Novel Woman said...

Thanks for stopping by, Photo Buffet. I'll have to pop over and have a looksee when I'm not using dialup.

Donna, these weren't taken with my macro lens. All were with the 18-200mm. Nifty, no? The macro still baffles me, but I'm going to master it this summer if it kills me.