Monday, March 10, 2008

Once, the movie

If you haven't seen it yet, do yourself a favour and rent ONCE. It's a lovely movie, very low-key with the feel of a documentary, though it isn't one. It could be called a musical, though it's there's nary a hint of BRIGADOON about it (although I loved that movie too, if I'm being honest.) I think ONCE is best described as an urban fairy tale. You don't even know the main characters' names; they're described simply as Guy and Girl.

The music is charming, the characters endearing, and you'll want to just sit quietly when the film is over and let its gentle influence melt into your bones.

3 comments:

kc dyer said...

Ahh.

And watchng them first play at the Oscars and then win for best song -- with THAT guitar! -- was one of my favourite moments ever.

~kc

Anonymous said...

Okay, I rented it and loved it! I found myself just smiling through much of the movie. Thanks for the recommendation.

A Novel Woman said...

Ooh, I'm SO glad you liked it! My friend kc recommended it, so I knew I'd like it, but I wasn't sure how others would receive it.

I was most surprised my teenage son liked it. I figured it was too slow moving for him but he went to his guitar and started to play as soon as the movie was over.

It has staying power, that film. Glad you liked it!