Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Retro Fashion 101

My sweet nephew, now an adult, dug up this photo of me. In my defense, it was during the 80s. My best years coincided with what was probably the worst time in history for fashion (next to the 70s) and I still harbor a grudge.

What was I thinking?

I don't know what's worse, the giant red glasses, or the fact that I thought that "fashionable" meant a nice silk scarf worn over a sweater featuring a rabbit and a raccoon. God only knows what was featured on the back. A giant squirrel?
The really, really sad part? My kitchen still looks exactly the same.

Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto...

7 comments:

Lottery Girl said...

What's wrong with that look? I was dressed exactly the same way this morning and thought I looked might fine.

Okay, that's a lie.

I've actually been wearing an enormous (size XXLarge) red sweatshirt made by Roots for the 2004 games. Bought it my first year in Surrey for one of the men in the family and then stole it back. Yeah Canada!

BB said...

Classic - I have a pic of giant white sunglasses beside my brand spanking (to me) new Toyota Corolla sedan (named Tess Toyota) circa 1985. OY!!! Still waiting for that look to come back in...
:-)
BB

Julie K said...

No photos of me in that time shall ever hit the interwebs. (you were one young mama!)

A Novel Woman said...

LG, Roots gear will never go out of style. Raccoon themed sweaters on the other hand...

BB, we want to see.

JK, not that young. I had my first kid at 30. I've never actually ACTED my age.

Unknown said...

I dunno... how different is that, really, from the closing ceremony sweaters worn by the Canadian team? *g*

Your kitchen is a lot like mine.

Debby said...

It is a classic look. Timeless. Timeless meaning at no time should one ever wear a sweater with a raccoon and a rabbit. One or the other. LOL.

A Novel Woman said...

Kathy, I tried my darnedest to get my mitts on one of those sweaters (actually, Doug got me the mitts) but they were sold out here.

Debby, I'm wondering what was on the back of it. I'm sure there are more photos somewhere...